The journal of21st Century Chinese Poetry 《廿一世纪中国诗歌》
is an independent journal committed to showcasing the best of contemporary Chinese poetry. We exist to discover and celebrate poetry and the Chinese poets who write them with the largest possible Anglophone audience.
In the early twentieth century, The May Fourth Movement (1917-1921) launched an era where vernacular Chinese was for the first time accepted as a legitimate poetic voice. This was followed by an outpouring of verse written in 'plain speech' by people from all walks of life in contrast to the classical, elitist poetic forms of imperial China.
A century has now passed since these 'new' poetic voices emerged. Vernacular poetry has continued to blossom in poetry journals and in cyberspace.
The editor and translators at 21st Century Chinese Poetry
are committed to translating poets from across China who would otherwise remain virtually unknown to Western audiences.
Please send all enquiries, suggestions and corrections regarding 21st Century Chinese Poetry
to Meifu Wang at:
Founder and Editor
A NEW SEASON OF POETRY
We are happy to report our partnership with China's Poetry Journal (诗刊), a bi-weekly poetry journal, the oldest and widest-circulated poetry journal in China.
Every month editors of Poetry Journal provide us a set of poems from their latest publications for our team to screen and translate.
ABOUT CHINA POETRY JOURNAL 《诗刊》介绍
China's Poetry Journal（诗刊）
was founded in 1957 with an emphasis not only on the publication of contemporary Chinese poetry, but also the publication of classical poetry by living poets. In addition, it announces poetry gatherings and events across the country, hosts literary criticism forums, and supports poetry translation. The daily operations of the journal are supervised by The Chinese Writers’ Association.
Each month Poetry Journal
publishes three paperback journals. The first paperback journal is published in the beginning of the month and features poems by established poets. The second paperback is published in the middle of the month and features poems by emerging poets. The third is called The Sage Said
, which features poetry in classical forms. The journal also maintains a website that broadcasts all matters related to poetry development in China; it has an audience exceeding half a million visitors daily.
Circulating close to sixty years, the journal has been at the forefront of publishing modern Chinese poetry, reflecting many of the sweeping changes that the country has witnessed over that period. The journal has also brought together and introduced a great number of fine poets, published a veritable styles of poems, and contributed to the continuous flowering of Chinese poetry.
POEM OF THE DAY 每日一首
From the editor
: winter 2019, we continue another year of teamwork with China's Poetry Journal
to bring new Chinese poetry to you, and welcome Alexander Turner, a poet from Utah, to join our translators' team.
"One can be a little more than Y, the sum of humanity divided by world population. One is slightly greater than 1, if One does poetry and not killing." --Meifu Wang
Updated Nov 17, 2019.
THE PARASOL TREE
- by Tian Jie
- There is in the south a bird, it doesn’t rest but on a parasol tree.
- —Cool Autumn, by Zhuangzi
- If I build a platform on the cliff, will you come
- If I fix up a cottage in the countryside, will you come
- Now I have freed up an old dwelling
- in my steadily aging body, will you come
- A tree grows out of a crag, perched free over death,
- as always fireworks vanish in flying colors.
- Ah, but how I wish to see miracles. Time has a mystery door
- that opens for the heart patiently waits. Dreams may come true—
- even if vines have taken over the body. I have horns on my head
- and am predestined to carry millstones,
- it’s but a test of nerve to break away from this web.
- What do I have to lose? This blissful and unkempt midlife.
- Note 1: it is said that Buddha once said: as long as you build the platform, I will come.
- Simultaneouly broadcast in China via WeChat （微信） by our partner — China's Poetry Journal （诗刊）: https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/eajiz_1ALkulXZatRoVEHA